Dr Aileen Faherty
GP and Founder
The Story so far...
To date, my career in medicine has afforded an exciting and diverse career path both here in Ireland and abroad. In 2003, I completed my undergraduate training in NUI Galway with an honours degree. Following internship, I spent a year in emergency medicine in a busy Emergency Department outside sunny Brisbane, Australia. Here, I realised that variety in my work, rather than specialising in one area, appealed most to me.
On my return from Australia, I worked as a non-consultant hospital doctor in Galway University Hospital and Merlin Park Hospital gaining experience in many hospital specialties including Renal Medicine, Rheumatology, Endocrinology and Haematology/Oncology.
In 2006, I secured a place on the Mid-Western GP Training program in Limerick. In 2010, I completed my specialist training and became a member of the Irish College of General Practitioners. I spent three years practicing in Kildare and the last few years practicing in East Galway.
For me, one of the most effective ways to ensure that our practice maintains high standards and keeps abreast of the latest medical developments is through continued involvement in Medical Education and Healthcare Research. With this in mind, I balance my career between clinical practice in Briarhill and lecturing with the department of General Practice, NUIG. I also do sessional work with the Galway Family Planning Clinic
My goal is to bring excellent, efficient, evidence-based healthcare to the people of Galway, while maintaining a friendly, accessible and approachable relationship with our local community.
Life outside of general practice…
Whether it’s walking my dog on the prom or taking a dip at Blackrock, I love living by the sea in my hometown, Galway. Open water swimming has become a real passion of mine in recent years. I also enjoy being in the outdoors and like to dabble in interior design. When I am not in Galway I love to travel, so far making it to 28 countries. I love going to new places and finding hidden gems of local spots to swim, enjoy the beach and countryside, or sample the local food and wine!
Specialist Registration with the Irish Medical Council (MCRN) 180500
I am currently studying for a Masters Degree in Health Science and completing the ICGP Certificate in Contraception parts II and III
- Bachelor of Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics (MB BCh BAO Hons) NUI Galway 2003
- Diploma in Clinical Psychiatry, 2007
- Diploma in Child Health (DCH), 2008
- Methadone Level One Training (ICGP), 2010
- Diploma in Health Science (Medical Education), 2013
- Immediate Cardiac Care Course (UCD), 2014
- ICGP Certificate in Contraception Part I 2016
- National Association of General Practitioners
- Membership of the Irish College of General Practitioners (MICGP)
Medical doctor, medical team leader, managing partner, educator, researcher and audit.
Areas of Special Interest
- I do sessional work with the Galway Family Planning Clinic and have an interest in women’s health, contraception and sexual health.
- I have lectured in paediatrics and have a special interest in children’s health.
- Management of diabetes and dermatology are other areas of medicine I also enjoy practicing.
- Hayes M, Faherty A, Hannon D. Delayed prescriptions: Attitudes and experiences of General Practitioners in the Midwest. Irish medical journal. 2013 Jun 1.
- Faherty A. Getting to grips with antibiotic over-prescribing. Forum. 2014
- Lydon S, Cupples ME, Hart N, Murphy AW, Faherty A, O’Connor P. The safety climate in primary care (SAP-C) study: study protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study. Pilot and Feasibility Studies. 2016 Sep 16;2(1):56.